Tis the season to be jolly! The holidays can be a dangerous time of year for your pets. Use these tips to help keep your furry friends happy and safe during your holiday festivities.
Try to avoid sharing holiday snacks with your pets. Many pets cannot handle diet changes which can lead to intestinal upset, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea or worse. Some foods we love during the holidays can even be toxic to your cats and dogs. These include alcohol, chocolate, caffeine, grapes and raisins, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, raw meat and bones, xylitol (sweetener) or raw yeast dough.
Many holiday decorations can be hazardous to your pet's safety. Make sure your Christmas tree is secure to prevent injury. Also, avoid letting your pets drink the tree water or eat fallen needles. Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly can all be toxic to cats and dogs. Be very careful when using tinsel and strings as cats are often attracted to them. If ingested, they can lead to GI obstructions. Also, make sure candles and wires are secured to avoid potential burns or fires.
Some pets can develop anxiety if there are changes to their normal routines. During celebrations there are often unfamiliar friends and family. Try sticking to their normal feeding and exercise schedule as consistently as possible. Allow your pets to retreat to a quiet, safe place when visitors are present.
We wish you all a happy holiday season!